The First Two Days in Costa Rica

Hola Friends!

We have arrived safely in Costa Rica. We actually ended up arriving a day later in San Jose due to a cancelled flight, but we finally did arrive. Our karma-travels philosophy has already held true because on the flight over to Costa Rica, we met a wonderful señorita from San Jose. By the end of the flight we had exchanged e-mails and have plans to get together at her house for lunch towards the end of our time in Costa Rica.

Even better, as we were departing the plane she put on a mask to guard herself from the swine flu and was very concerned that we didn’t have one. Low and behold, she brought two extra. It was all good until we realized we were the ONLY ones in the entire airport besides our friend wearing the masks. We didn’t want to upset our new friend so we kept them on through all the stares of the other passengers, most of them looking worried because they were probably wondering if they had missed something.

After a short taxi ride through San Jose, we arrived at Jason’s cousin Barbara’s house. We had only recently discovered that Jason had a cousin in San Jose and she was more than happy to put us up for the night. We immediately felt at home as she served us rice and beans for lunch. She let us know that we would be eating lots of rice and beans, so she hoped we liked them. She made her black beans with hard boiled eggs and we couldn’t believe how good it was. Try it!

The next morning (Saturday) we headed out super early to the bus station. The cost for the bus to take us to Monteverde was USD $4 or 2,500 colones. Super cheap! The ride took 4 hours, most of which was smooth, but the end of the ride was up a mountain not made for a big bus.

We arrived in Santa Elena and found a cute, hippie style hostel to stay in for the night for $7 per person. We had a long talk with the hostel worker Diego and he gave us the down low on all the good places to go, including zip lining and hiking.

That night, we went on a 2 hour guided night hike through a non-profit reserve called Bajo del Tigre. We didn’t see any jaguars or pumas, but we did see some awesome bugs and birds. We met some other backpackers at the hostel and plan to hike to Monteverde tomorrow super early. We are loving the relaxed atmosphere and can’t wait to learn more Spanish.

9 Responses to “The First Two Days in Costa Rica”

1. J and A says:

Thanks Andrew! Glad to have a new reader!

2. Wendy says:

Ashley & Jason-Thanks for sending the e-mail with the link! Your site is so cool and triggers an idea or two that Diane and I have been kicking around, so many connections you wouldn’t even realize! I am going to forward on to her, she was asking about you guys and if anyone heard from you. I babysat Kenny this weekend & he was asking about you, too. Maybe shoot him a quick e-mail when if you find time.

I don’t think I realized the magnitude of your trip until I got a closer look at the website, I am green with envy! Your pics are amazing…puts me right there. LOVE the turtles, of course…I SO want to do that someday, “Tropical Tree Hugger”, Jason’s “The Hulk” (How do you guys think these things up?!?!?!) and the volcano is majestic!

Wishing you all the adventures possible, safe travels and Good KARMA 🙂

Love, Wendy

3. Kelly Brown says:

The article is usefull for me. I’ll be coming back to your blog.

4. Great post! Just wanted to let you know you have a new subscriber- me!

5. KrisBelucci says:

Hi, good post. I have been wondering about this issue,so thanks for posting.

6. yKenny says:

Hi guys, How’s your trip? It’s Kenny.
    I really hope you guys have fun for 2 years!
    Your best BFF and Always will be
    Kenny

7. Amanda says:

YaYYY!! You made it!! I’m glad you liked the rice and beans, and that you saw some sweet bugs… I hope they were huge and colorful! 🙂

I also wanted to let you know that your friend, Eco has found a comfy home on the side of my bamboo plant vase, chillin’ right next to my Bucky the Badger; and yes, his globe is still in tact!

Jared has all of his corn planted, and he’ll be starting soybeans tomorrow; we’re planning on going camping up near Wausau/Steven’s Point for the long weekend, but we’ll see how things turn out. I’m just ecstatic to have three full days off! WHOOO HOO!! 🙂

I miss you guys already and am currently living vicariously through you… Keep the posts comin’, I need work breaks!!

Today’s Karma Moment: I went out and bought a plant for Jan Rus, my contact at the Naperville Park District who is retiring, so we’re planning to give her a retirement gift. In turn, my swim team AND one of my summer camps got staffed… SWEETNESS!!

Love ya both– Take care of each other!!
    (Ashley, I said take care, not KILL….just kiddin’:)

-Amanda

8. Dori says:

So glad to hear you are both good. I look foward to reading your blog as it is updated. I can’t wait to see pictures posted! We are traveling Friday 5/22, maybe I will have a Karma-Travel story for you when I return! love ya!

9. stubbemand says:

Hello! I’m so glad to hear you are having adventures already and that you are safe. I couldn’t wait to hear from you. Our Relay is over. Jes and I survived. She stayed up all night, not me I copped a couple hrs. sleep in a tent. Jes karoked (that can not be right) w/ some guy and was so good. I think she was holding out on us at your party. Our goal was $110,000 and we raised $107,000 so I know we’ll make it. $ always comes in later. Cod is home from FL, I’ll see him again Wed. Jes and I only have 5 more days of school. Mamaw is home, got to come home today. Love you both. Deb